Introducing Myself

Any conversation that doesn't fit the forums above

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

nemesis_custom

Introducing Myself

Postby nemesis_custom » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi All,

I was given a cb650 a couple of years ago and it has been sat outside under a cover.
I didn't have any time until last week to to have a look at it.

Its mostly complete, only missing the exhaust clamps as far as i can see.

Its in a bit of a state, all chrome is rusting and pitted.

I dropped an old battery on it to see if i could get it to turn over but all i got was the solenoid clicking, hopefully this will work when i get a decent battery on it.

I haven't got a deal of money to spend on it atm, i.e. none, so am looking for suggestions on what i can before i need to spend money on it...

The registration plate puts its age at an 83, i was told its a nighthawk but it looks more like a custom. I will get some pictures up soon.

i definitely know it hasn't been started in at least 4 years.

I will probably have loads of questions as i go along rebuilding it but like i said earlier i am not sure where is the best place to start.....
My bikes don't leak oil, They are marking their territory!!

Volker_P

Re: Introducing Myself

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:12 am

Welcome here! :D

From your description I would assume you have a DOHC. The UK SOHC bikes here are typically Z-models and it seems there had been only a few.

I first would try to turn it over by hand on the crankshaft to get an idea of that engine. If it should be blocked, don't use force but better open it. Sticking rings may get free by force, however on the cost of their grooves in the piston being damaged. This will end up in stuck rings (poor compression, high oil consumption).

Brakes are an issue, too. Replace the brake fluid, from the colour and consistency of the stuff coming out there you get an idea how it looks like inside.

A picture might help for a better impression what you really have. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:14 am

Welcome here! Go through the wiring harness and clean every contact. Check all the plugs for tightness--and not just the plastic plug, but make sure the wire contacts inside the plug are tight.

Most importantly: Have fun!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

nemesis_custom

Postby nemesis_custom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys, I am fairly well versed mechanically with cars but have only done brakes, sprockets and chain on a bike before.

So expect a lot of questions on how to...... :P

For starters how do i turn it over manually? Is there someplace i can stick a socket on to turn the engine? How do i get to it?

I haven't got a chain for it, so i can't drop it into gear and turn the back wheel to see if everything moves.

My previous bike experience was on '96 zx6r, but me and the wife were in a pretty serious accident on it a few years ago so now i am not allowed a sports bike, i am very lucky she is letting me try and get this one on the road :? . I am soo looking forward to getting back on 2 wheels and i want something that i can ride all day, being a taller fella i couldn't ride the ninja for more than an hour without having to get off and walk around for half an hour just to unkink myself :wink:

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:22 am

For the SOHC, remove the right crankshaft cover. Then you can turn the crankshaft with a 24mm socket.

Basically you could also remove the left crankshaft cover (containing the stator) and turn the engine with the bolt that holds the alternator rotor. It is a usual right-hand bolt but it should not release from turning the engine. But don't turn at the rotor itself. For the SOHC there will come no oil, not sure for DOHC however!

The rotor bolt is probably better at an engine of unknown status as the 24mm on the right side looks stronger as it is. But keep an eye on the oil plug below the crankshaft. It should not pop out from slow turning, but might from cranking with the starter and certainly will when running without the cover. Mess of oil! (All this for SOHC)

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

nemesis_custom

Postby nemesis_custom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:04 am

Here is my post in the 'show it off' section, pictures of my bike and the state it is in :roll:

http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11026

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 am

SOHC, RC08 frame and engine, lots of work.
The complete front end (fork, brakes, fender, wheel) is not CB650, probably not even Honda.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:46 am

Look closer the only thing not honda is the wheel and the turn signals. The rest is nitehawk stock.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Return to “Everything else”