New Cb650 project

Any conversation that doesn't fit the forums above

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

creasewrong

New Cb650 project

Postby creasewrong » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and motorcycles in general. I have no experience working on bikes or cars but decided to buy a cb650 and start working on it. I feel like i did over pay a little for $650 on the bike and bought it on a whim. Let me know what you think.

Here's what i know about it. I bought it from a guy who planned to make it into a cafe racer. He bought it from his best friends dad, who regularly maintained and rode it. The bike has 15,000 miles. It said for about 10 years. The oil in it is clean, the front and rear brakes work. SUPPOSEDLY the bike was running a few months ago for a little bit before he took some parts off to turn it into a cafe racer. The guy said the person before him stored in properly with clean oil. He is now moving and has to get rid of the bike. All the electrical is original on the bike and all intact and apparently works. The plugs are also supposedly still good. It doesn't seem like the bike was dropped. Pretty much everything is there except the side covers. I have the factory airbox to go with a new carb uninstalled. The carb does need to be polished, but he said that it does not need torn down and cleaned. I have not seen it run nor have I put a battery in it yet to check the electrical.
The head gasket looks usable and somewhat new. Doesn't look like oil is leaking. The carb boots also look like their in good condition.

So i plan to
- clean the tank of the minor rust.
- run new fuel lines and maybe install a inline filter?
- Put new oil and filter
- Install carbs.

I was going to check valve clearance but he said that i wont need to.
Is there anything else i should do before trying to fire this bike up again?
Attachments
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG (901.19 KiB) Viewed 14088 times
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG (901.19 KiB) Viewed 14088 times
IMG_5006.JPG
IMG_5006.JPG (359.94 KiB) Viewed 14088 times

cb650

Re: New Cb650 project

Postby cb650 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:49 am

Clean the tank and carbs see if it runs. Looks mostly complete. After that it depends on your intentions for it. Unless some one already did the topend gaskets it will start leaking. Looks like it has 900 F shocks on it.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Return to “Everything else”