Looking for a good mechanic in MN/WI (preferably near MNPLS)

Any conversation that doesn't fit the forums above

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

berdshot

Looking for a good mechanic in MN/WI (preferably near MNPLS)

Postby berdshot » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I recently picked up a 1980 CB650 that has a number of old motorcycle issues. It starts well enough, but needs a handful of repairs to make it fun/ safe to ride. I don't have a lot of tools, time or garage space and have been looking for a mechanic to handle some of the more major repairs.

Out of the reputable shops that I know if in Minneapolis 2 won't do engine/carb work on bikes that old. The honda motorcycle dealer will, but their shop rate is $80/hr

I just wanted to find out if anyone new of a good mechanic in the area or in a city within driving distance that would be able to work on a 30 year old bike.

Volker_P

Re: Looking for a good mechanic in MN/WI (preferably near MN

Postby Volker_P » Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 am

Welcome here! :D

you already found that people do either not work on that bikes or take real money for that. You did not find so far the people that do something for some money which helps them but not really you or your bike. Also original parts are expensive.

This unfortunately is a fact and so an old bike only makes sense if you can do most things on your own with used parts.
On the other hand a classic bike is no way to save money if you can't fix most issues yourself.

Best thing is probably to have a knowing buddy who likes to work with you and where you can learn a lot.
Second best is read the manual linked below and look around in this forum. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Everything else”