Hi guys

Any conversation that doesn't fit the forums above

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: Hi guys

Postby Volker_P » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 am

Hi "Guest" Robert,
still some difficulties after hibernation? :mrgreen: Well, spring also seems to have difficulties this year.
Funny, as I thougt about the RC05 63hp documents I sent to you I got aware that I should have two 63hp camshafts. I know that I only have one smashed so I had a look in the box. TÜV is rather in June so I think I will try to borrow a small torque wrench over Easter :lol:. I prefer to spend days like that in the workshop.

Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:07 pm

Volker_P wrote:Hi "Guest" Robert,
still some difficulties after hibernation?

Yeah, yes, umpf :D
I'm working on it, it's getting better with times, I promise!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:41 am

I agree this year it is really hard to get up. I had a fine trip on saturday, but I remember doing trips like this usually eight weeks earlier. It is winter again today, snow above 400m :shock: ! You have not missed much so far. I think we have summer next week. Well, at least I hope we will as I will have holiday :D

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:17 am

It's the same thing up here in Norway. Yesterday morning it was snowing, but today we have a nice day and I went riding for the first time this year. That is 3 weeks later than average.
Btw, on Wednesday we have been promised more snow. :roll:

Chris

Welcome back

Postby Chris » Thu May 04, 2006 11:13 am

Hi Guys. It's about time I caught up with ya'll :o Thanks go out to whoever reopened this forum. There was alot of great info in the old one and hopefully we can get it all back here. I'm a new rider. I bought my 1980 CB650c last fall for $400US, but didn't get much time to ride it before the NY winter set in. I started her up early this year to play around in the yard a little and quickly found that the ground was way too soggy yet. Since then, I got plenty of seat time around the yard, but then she wouldn't start anymore. I ran the battery down at least twice trying to get her started and all she'd do was backfire. So, last weekend I drained the tank and carbs and put in a new set of plugs. I also found a cracked vacuum line that I think has something to do with emissions :?: and replaced that. She fired right up Sunday night like nothing ever happened :P Yesterday, I went for a ride with a friend from work and had a blast. My guess is that either the plugs were beyond wire-brushing, the fuel was stale, or that vacuum line made a big difference. Now I have another problem though. There seems to be quite a bit of lateral movement in the swingarm at the pivot point. I checked the torque on the pivot bolt and it was good so I think I need new bushings. Anybody know where I can find a pair of swingarm bushings for a 1980 CB650c for less than $50US? I need to get this fixed right away because it's real scarey when the bike gets a shimmy at speed :shock:
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Thu May 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Welcome to the board. Yes, get that lateral play taken care of right away. Not sure where to get bushing, but try cyclewearables.com.

Good to hear you got it started this spring.

Where are you in NY? I lived to Syracuse for a number of years.
'99 1500 Drifter

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Thu May 04, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi Chris. :D
It's nice to see that you found the new forum.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri May 05, 2006 12:29 am

Hi Chris,
welcome here. To your swingarm problem: It need not be worn bushings. The outer washers (with cranked rim which belongs to inner side) may be fixed somewhat displaced with the rim being clamped instead of being free. Also the axis might be rusted to the frame on the nut side. Check this out before you consider to get new parts. Do not use plastic bushings (if someone still should try to sell you those), there are brass (or steel?) ones which are more durable.

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri May 05, 2006 1:03 am

Thanks Volker_P, Ibsen, Vatch. It seems that cyclewearables.com is no more. I'll get that swingarm off of the bike this weekend and take a closer look. I saw the washers in a diagram and I'm curious to see if they're even there. Funny you should mention plastic bushings 'cause the mechanic at the Honda shop said, "Alot of bikes have plastic bushings nowadays." I work with some machinists and a couple have already offered to make me a set out of brass if I could get them the dimensions. I'll remove the swingarm and let you know what I find.
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Fri May 05, 2006 10:16 am

Sorry, spelled it wrong. :o

http://www.cyclewareables.com/
'99 1500 Drifter

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri May 05, 2006 12:48 pm

Caught it in the other post today. Thanks. I thought it was I that had misspelled it in my browser.
1980 CB650c

nickjtc

'ello, 'ello

Postby nickjtc » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who got this forum started. I'm looking forward to give and take (probably more take than give!!) on anything to do with a great 'bike.

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:41 am

Welcome to the forum. :D

Volker_P

Re: 'ello, 'ello

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:31 am

Welcome here! :D

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Oh yeah... where's my manners?... welcome to the forum :lol:
1980 CB650c

Return to “Everything else”