Bad news

Any conversation that doesn't fit the forums above

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Bad news

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:54 am

Guess some of you already wondered where I have been hanging around in September. In fact I was shot end of August by a car turning left directly into my CB. There was no hint he would turn so I was hit without any chance of reaction. The CB hit the front and I just did fly some tens of meters into the grass. Just flat grass being my landing zone was the reason I could stand up myself. Anything in my way like a traffic sign, a tree or whatever would have meant really severe injury if I survived at all. So at least here I was lucky. Even like that, there is a 15cm long cut in my helmet and it took several days until I could sleep a bit and some more until my head worked again not that bad. My right shoulder joint was corrupted which required an operation. Now I have a metal part in there for some months and the mobility of my right arm is quite limited. No loads on it either for some time. Thanks to really good boots, my right foot still is more or less intact. Which means everything in there including some bones got seriously and visibly (by MRI) overloaded but no operation there. Just wear a support some weeks and minimize the load. As I always said wear good boots as your feet are hit in most cases, even the harmless ones.

So basically nothing that should not recover, however full load on the shoulder is a timescale of one year. For now, I can still use my right arm and hand with some temporary restriction of moveability and weight load.
Everything was given to a lawyer, the case seems very clear so I don't expect problems from that side at least.

The status of my CB is perfectly described by "smashed". Nothing someone would try to get back on the road again. The engine may still run, the right footpeg cracked the clutch cover a bit so oil leaked out but that's it (from outside). Both, clutch and brake lever survived together with the headlight glass and the left mirror. Strange.
Everything else is damaged, maybe handlebars might be still straightened and some parts of the rear might be reuseable, too.

This means no CB650 any more and probably never again. Of course I could buy a nice one again and benefit from my stored parts. But so far I am not sure, if I like to go riding again. Beyond the famous "woman with Opel", I found confirmed the hard way there is a new species now. People well beyond 70 years old in big, heavy cars concentrating on electronic stuff (phone, navigation, whatever strange error message or satnav like in my case) that did not exist when they were younger. They don't feel like safe drivers any more, so they think they solve that by just going slowly. However they can't/don't really look on the road any more or only focus to one issue. So they won't hit anything big but this won't help the man on the motorcycle. And this species seems a growing one.
For this reason I am unsure if I will ride again. Even if I would do, I still have my dirtbike. And I certainly won't need a second bike again. For now I think my first CB was my last one, too.

I cannot say how I proceed in this forum. I still don't really feel like taking care of technical questions or having any thoughts on motorcycles. So please understand if I am not here that often any more. Guess this means this forum could need another moderator. I will contact Tidd650 with regard to that point. I hope this forum will continue in a good direction anyway.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

usbear

Re: Bad news

Postby usbear » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 am

Best wishes Sir!
Sorry to hear of this.
Glad you did not get run over.
Bob.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:30 am

I WAS wonder where you were! I'm glad to hear it was not worse.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

my79650

Postby my79650 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:32 am

Sorry to hear; hope you get better and the cager gets the book thrown at him/her.

entropy

Postby entropy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm glad to hear you're in (more or less) one piece. I hope you mend quickly and get this all put behind you soon. Thanks for all your excellent service and help here on the forum. We'll miss you, so I hope you drop in with an occasional picture of where your dirtbike takes you.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Glad your mending. You should stay on the site just for advice. Give you something to do while healing.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:47 am

Thanks for the good wishes. :)
I am slow at the moment so I always have something to do as everything takes twice the time at least. As I was more than one month out of my office I have come up to date there, too.
I hope to find back everywhere including this forum.
Guess I will feel better as soon as this part of metal is out of my shoulder. I think/hope to get rid of it before Christmas.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you come to speedy ( no pun intended) recovery and back on the road soon. Take care

Bongskit

Postby Bongskit » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 pm

i was wondering myself where have you been these past few weeks. i am sorry to hear about the accident. cb650 is right. you can stay awhile and contribute to the community with your precious advise while healing up. i have no other hope and wish but your speedy recovery.

Ed

onepieceatatime

Postby onepieceatatime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:54 pm

I've been away from the forum for quite a while, working on other projects, so this is the first time I am seeing this.
Very sorry to hear about the accident and destruction of your bike. Glad it wasn't worse for you, and wishing you the best in your recovery.
Folsoml wrote: Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:

1977 CB750K
1977 CB750K
1978 CB400A
1980 CB650C
1980 CB650
1982 CB900F
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Not fun to hear such things at all. :x I read in an advertisement magazine, wich sell bikes in personal advertisements, an article that you have to consider all car drivers like idiots. :shock: In a sense it's correct as car and lorry driver dont have the unobstructed view as we bike drivers have, And who knows what some car drivers are doing behind the steering wheel really? :?: :? :shock:

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:05 am

Thanks for the wishes.
Metal is out, my arm has full mobility, but I still have a strange feeling in there and extreme positions still hurt. No full load allowed yet but I can do most things. Learned to use more brain instead of violence. :roll:

MEHall wrote:And who knows what some car drivers are doing behind the steering wheel really?

This one was watching his satnav instead of the road. :?

coffee_brake

Postby coffee_brake » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:47 am

I know this topic is old. But it's been a little over a year since I had a bad accident.

I thought that maybe I didn't want to ride anymore. But I made myself get back on a bike and take a short ride. It was terrifying. But I rode over and over and over, little short trips, until suddenly it became fun again.

Nevermind the fact that I didn't own a car and I was stuck home if I didn't ride. Getting back in the saddle as soon as possible was critical for me.

This may not be much help for Volker, but it might help someone else struggling with this decision.
Jenn in "Jaw-juh"
1982 CB650 Nighthawk

Return to “Everything else”