2006 White Rose Hillclimb and other events

Other sites worth your time

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Chris

2006 White Rose Hillclimb and other events

Postby Chris » Tue May 30, 2006 11:03 pm

Huge hillclimb in Jefferson, PA at the White Rose MC on Sunday morning. Nice family event. Bring your own chairs.
Here's a link with more info on this Sunday's hillclimb that I mentioned in another thread and the rest of the 2006 schedule for this club in south-central PA: http://www.biker.net/white%20rose/white_rose.htm That Vintage Japanese Bike Meet & Show coming up in August sounds interesting 8) I've been to the hillclimb before and I can tell you that this is a nice family oriented club and event so don't be afraid to bring the wife and kids along. Also, don't forget to stroll through the parking lot to see the spectators bikes. Hopefully I'll have a link to pics from this year's event posted by sometime next weekend for those of you who can't make it.
1980 CB650c

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 am

http://mechanix.myphotoalbum.com/

Ok, here's some pics as promised. The first few pics in the album are of a vintage Indian hillclimber that was brought up from Maryland by its current owner. He was trying to get some background on the bike and who ran it. Turns out that it ran at White Rose in the 50's, 60's and even part of the 70's and won on several occasions.

The hill was 300feet and included 2 breakers, one near the bottom at about 40feet and the other at about 220feet. This was the first hillclimb of AMA's 2006 hillclimbing season. There were 2 classes of bikes. I think they were 250cc and 800cc, but don't quote me on that. The bikes run nitro-methane and they're started with handheld electric starters connected to battery packs, probably due to a very high compression ratio. The rider pushes the bike to the starting line and a member of his crew starts the bike. Once it's running, another member fans the rider with a large piece of wood to keep the nitro fumes from going up inside his helmet. When the rider is ready, the crew moves away and he takes off up the hill. The passes are timed electronically with a set of 'lights' at the start and finish lines. I couldn't stay for the entire event, but the fastest passes I witnessed were right around 6sec. with some riders even catching air over the top of the hill!

On the last page of the main album, there is a sub-album that has pictures of spectator's bikes in the parking area. There weren't many Hondas there, but I did see Triumph, BSA, and an old panhead along with some very cool choppers.

Hope you enjoy the pics... Chris
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 pm

Always good to see reports and pics from cycle events. Thanks.

I really like the looks of those old British bikes. Big singles, a motorcycle in its simplest form.
'99 1500 Drifter

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:19 am

8) We visited beautiful York, PA and surrounding areas again this year and I got lots of pics from the NSRA Nationals East. Here's a link to my new 2007 photo album: http://mechanix.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album12 Sorry, no pics from the hillclimb this year. We were there, but it was raining on and off. Attendence was down, there were very few spectator bikes to look at, and we left near the end of the first round of runs. I know this is a CB650 forum, but since most of you are mechanically inclined, I hope you can appreciated a little gearhead art on 4 wheels :wink:

I posted this link in the 'everything else' section for things that don't pertain, but then took it down when I remembered this thread. I didn't figure there was much sense in starting a new thread.

Enjoy!
-Chris-
1980 CB650c

Return to “Links”