Fixing the infamous 'right above the exhaust' leak

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

1980cb650

Fixing the infamous 'right above the exhaust' leak

Postby 1980cb650 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:17 am

Finally got some time to work on the bike. I was going to a complete head job this winter, but it was too cold and I was too busy. Now the gas prices have got me inspired to go ride it rather than tear it apart, but I want to fix the shifter shaft oil leak. I have the right o-ring somewhere in one of my engine gasket kits. I was wondering though, do I need to drain all the oil from the engine before removing that side cover? Any tricks or tips for this job? Seems relatively straighforward, I'll keep everyone updated, maybe with pics too!
--Andy--
--1980 CB650--

chucksklrst

Re: Fixing the infamous 'right above the exhaust' leak

Postby chucksklrst » Thu May 24, 2007 12:00 pm

1980cb650 wrote:Finally got some time to work on the bike. I was going to a complete head job this winter, but it was too cold and I was too busy. Now the gas prices have got me inspired to go ride it rather than tear it apart, but I want to fix the shifter shaft oil leak. I have the right o-ring somewhere in one of my engine gasket kits. I was wondering though, do I need to drain all the oil from the engine before removing that side cover? Any tricks or tips for this job? Seems relatively straighforward, I'll keep everyone updated, maybe with pics too!

I just replaced the shifter seal on my 79 cb650. To remove the cover one does not need to drain the oil. How ever when changing the seal, I did drain the oil as it needed to be changed anyway. The seal is about $6 from Honda. I bought two. Good thing too becouse I ruined the first one putting it in cockeyed. Job took about 15 to 20 min. You will need a pull hook tool to remove the old seal. When putting in the new I used a peice of small dia. pipe as a seal punch. make sure your punch fits evenly on the edge of the seal or you will push it in cockeyed. It is really easer than it looks or sounds. Make sure you use some anti seaze on the bolt threads of the cover. I had a couple that were hard to get out. Good luck.
Chuck Henderson
Aurora, Colorado
10 NT700 (Now & Then)
09 DL650 Wee (Weezer)
03 ST1300 (Silver STorm)
97 KLR 650 (STep Child)
86 VT1100 Shadow (Yesterday's Shadows) Sold
79 CB650 (Chasing Rainbows) Sold

1980cb650

Postby 1980cb650 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:03 pm

Thanks for the tips! I took the cover off and found a ton of grime and crap in there around the shift rod. I looked through my engine kit and I guess I don't have the seal. Looks like I'll need to stop by a Honda shop this weekend and get a couple.
--Andy--
--1980 CB650--

1980cb650

Postby 1980cb650 » Sun May 27, 2007 5:04 pm

If anyone is wondering, the gasket part number is 91204-425-003 from Honda. About $6 each. I've got to wait till next friday now before I can get mine.
--Andy--
--1980 CB650--

1980cb650

Postby 1980cb650 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:09 pm

Got mine fixed now. Still leaks oil from the head, but I want to ride, not work on it. The shifter seal was an easy fix, exactly as described above. I forgot to take some pictures.

Took the bike out for it's first ride this year. I haven't rode it since last September! It ran great once warmed up! Never woulda thought that it had been half apart the whole winter. Needs a good cleaning though. I just wish the rain would go away so I can ride more.

Oh, it seems that something got on the front of the tank while it was under the workbench and took some of the clear coat off. Is there anything I can do to make it shiny again? Would wax help?
--Andy--
--1980 CB650--

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:55 am

That was a real hard test for your patience I guess. 8)
Good to hear it runs fine again, the head oil leak will save you the grease on your boots. :lol:
I would think you have to polish the blind spot on the tank before you put anything there. Wax may work but (fuel proof) clear paint would be probably a better option. However I would recommend to check out the results on the bottom of the tank first. :wink:

Cteodorski

Postby Cteodorski » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:54 am

Can one of you guys explain exactly where this leak is?

Photographs might be better....

1980cb650

Postby 1980cb650 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:53 pm

Sorry for the quick sloppy editing. I should've taken a before pic, there was oil all over my pipe.
Last edited by 1980cb650 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Andy--
--1980 CB650--

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:07 am

Hey Chris, which reason to still care for CB650 engine leaks? :D

One should mention again that the seal itself is in the engine casing behind the sprocket cover.
I once had oil there from the oil pump cover (also behind sprocket cover). Then it comes out below the three fins of the sprocket cover. In the picture it would be at the level of the front bolt of the exhaust protection
So have a close look where it really comes from to avoid unnecessary work.
To the oil pump: The oil pump cover has a square cross section O-Ring but a slightly oversized circular O-Ring also does the job perfectly since a long time. The original (Phillips) bolts are hard to get out and should be replaced by something reasonable.

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:58 am

The leak I had on mine when I bought it was from the oil pump cover. It was a pretty easy fix. But as Volker mentioned, the screws for the oil pump cover is best replaced with Allen bolts.

Cteodorski

Postby Cteodorski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:32 am

Volker_P wrote:Hey Chris, which reason to still care for CB650 engine leaks? :D

Volker -- I still care because my CB650 was moved to my new house this weekend and it's slowly leaking all over the shed floor.

I took down the ad to sell the bike after the first person came to look at it. I couldn't give her up. I'm just hoping now that I can scrape together the money to get her fixed up...

Chris

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:03 am

I see, in my thoughts it was already sold.
Welcome back, I hope the CB will show a bit thankful for your change of mind! :D

Fixing the oil leak will not be expensive, however work might get a bit tricky on the oil pump bolts or the gear lever cam. As Chuck already mentioned, grease and avoid to overtighten the four sprocket cover bolts or they'll be a mess to get out again. But I remember you had other problems, too. Good luck and be sure to find good advice here.

The picture upload seems to work again. Thanks for that. Or I just did not cope with it for a while... :roll:

Cteodorski

Postby Cteodorski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Volker_P wrote:I see, in my thoughts it was already sold.
Welcome back, I hope the CB will show a bit thankful for your change of mind! :D

Fixing the oil leak will not be expensive, however work might get a bit tricky on the oil pump bolts or the gear lever cam. As Chuck already mentioned, grease and avoid to overtighten the four sprocket cover bolts or they'll be a mess to get out again. But I remember you had other problems, too. Good luck and be sure to find good advice here.

The picture upload seems to work again. Thanks for that. Or I just did not cope with it for a while... :roll:

Actually, I don't think that is the location of my leak. Mine seems to come generally from the area nearer the kickstand.

Cteodorski

Postby Cteodorski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:28 pm

Volker_P wrote: Good luck and be sure to find good advice here.

The heck with advice, I just need you to come to Pittsburgh and help me... :lol:

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:43 am

Check the oil pan seal, it was the first seal I changed when I got mine years ago. Or the oil may origin from the oil filter and make its way along an oil pan fin.

Cteodorski wrote: The heck with advice, I just need you to come to Pittsburgh and help me... :lol:

I could consider an extended motorcycle turn but I think the gas stations are somewhat rare for the north pole part. :lol:
O just be patient, in some time there will be something like an online remote robot. 8)

To be a bit more serious, I could imagine you will find a local, qualified, helpful hand by a request at sohc4.us.

Return to “Technical Discussion”