fuel tank issue

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: fuel tank issue

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:45 am

Looks like a good result.
For the petcock: one may drill out the rivets and clean it out and replace the seal if necessary. You will do this with pleasure in case you ever go to Honda to ask for a new one. 8)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

BK.RD.RNR

Postby BK.RD.RNR » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for this thread, did it today, seems like it came out pretty good. :D
2 gripes...
Getting those BBs (or anything else) out is a serious PIA. I ended up using a magnet.

And having to get out the POR coating that went bad. It was put in by the PO. I'm hoping to get away without redoing it...We'll see.

emperorspartacus

Postby emperorspartacus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Yeah, getting the BBs out was a major drag. The next time I do this, I will use a hunk of chain.

I filled my tank with gas as soon as I got all the BBs out. It still looks pretty good, but I think it may have flash rusted while I was messing around with the magnet.
There are old bikers. There are dumb bikers. There are no old, dumb bikers.

View my 1980 CB650C rebuild here.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm

I liked the Evap o rust I used it on my tank it worked very well and it wont harm the pain and is bio degradable it ate the rust away in a few hours and my photos show my tank was very very bad and it won't eat good metal only rust.
below is link to my pics
and a before and after pic.
I also electro zinc plated the top half of the tank, I plan on finishing the zinc plate job some time in the future I just got impatient and wanted to ride HA ha.

Before

and after cleaning

Sorry about the large photos but you can get a better ideal of just how bad it was.

also the last pic has color variations caused by the zinc plating .
and after zinc plating part of the tank

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt27 ... el%20Tank/
A>
<A

Anamagous

Postby Anamagous » Thu May 31, 2012 11:21 am

Hey guys,
my petcock is pretty nasty...what should I use to clean it? (CLR, Diesle, ??) If I use CLR can I just plop the whole pet cock in a bowl of CLR and let it sit? Also if I just have a light flash rust inside my tank will normal gasoline clean that up once I fill the tank? Thanks for your advice.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 am

No idea if the rubber parts will like CLR. I would not like to be the first one to try it out. :wink:

If fuel will really solve the rust be prepared to find it later in your idle jets and passages.
Or in other words: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5848&start=5 :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

davesee

Postby davesee » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:13 am

i have had really great success resurrecting tanks with all kinds of rust perforations using this product

http://www.caswellplating.com/restorati ... ealer.html

it's a two part gas proof epoxy. it's a pretty easy procedure (although you have to be careful to get a good coat on the entire inside surface).

i have done two different tanks with it, one with pretty sizable rust perforations (bigger than pinholes). this stuff bridged the holes nicely,
and i have a nice clean tank and even better, nice clean carbs.

srhiles

Postby srhiles » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:29 pm

years late but the way we fixed my rusty (Yamaha) tank was with a method used on my buddies Kawasaki forum.
Wood bleach, inexpensive and accessible at most hardware stores. mixed about 1/2 the container with 2 gallons
of warm water. i used duck tape to seal off the petcock hole, then poured in mixture. Sealed the gas cap hole and
rocked gently for about a half hour , let sit (rested my leg!) then some more for another 1/2 hour. Suggested leaving
sit overnight for harder cases. Also put about 7 small pebbles with warm soapy water first to knock out a lot of the heavy
surface rust. Wood bleach was safe on rubber too. Process worked great! Went from very rusty to clean! going to try the
same process on my cb this winter. P.O. put cream liner on the tank and now its beginning to float in my tank. :(
srhiles
1981 Honda CB 650
1985 Yamaha Maximum 700x
1998 Yamaha Royal Star 1300 Touring Classic ( husbands bike ) :D

myers

Postby myers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:07 am

davesee wrote:i have had really great success resurrecting tanks with all kinds of rust perforations using this product

http://www.caswellplating.com/restorati ... ealer.html

it's a two part gas proof epoxy. it's a pretty easy procedure (although you have to be careful to get a good coat on the entire inside surface).

i have done two different tanks with it, one with pretty sizable rust perforations (bigger than pinholes). this stuff bridged the holes nicely,
and i have a nice clean tank and even better, nice clean carbs.

I know this might be a late response, but I am now facing the aftermath of this amazing epoxy sealing method. It falls off. In the tank. In big chunks. Worse than rust.
Please don't do this. Apparently vibration (or any other mechanical force) disintegrates the nice layer of epoxy coating, it cracks and starts falling off the inner walls.

Return to “Technical Discussion”