GM HEI: Cheap and Extremely Effective Ignition Upgrade

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: GM HEI: Cheap and Extremely Effective Ignition Upgrade

Postby Volker_P » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 am

klougnot wrote:Just when you thought it was never going to happen here it is a 1976 CB750 with CB650 reflectors and rotor triggering GM HEI modules and coils.

BTW, 300 would be just the middle part number of the CB750 :wink:
So I there is no degree information in either case. Not more than to keep them apart and address them to the correct engine.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

klougnot

Postby klougnot » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:25 am

That's a relief that's for the great info as always.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 am

OK; confusing this thread really is; since everyone knows of my ignitor troubles; could i just get the newer GM HEI parts and wire them in to still use the original coils to eliminate the smaller ignitor boxes? If not i can still get a used set of ignitors form the scrapyard i deal with.

SchoolDaGeek

Postby SchoolDaGeek » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 pm

klougnot wrote:...The thing that trips people up is that the yellow and blue wires with the white tubes need a good frame ground. Do not run without grounding these wires and the HEI units. ...

...A little update I found out why I was only getting spark on 1 of the pickups. The problem was that I was tapping into the yellow/red wire off the starter solenoid. I am not sure why, but the voltage was dropping to much to trigger the HEI. By moving 12+ to the left side of the starter solenoid I was able to get enough juice to consistently trigger both pickups.

Spring is here guys! So far no one has chimed in on the 4-prong with notes other than klougnot. Lou has multiple examples of the 4-prong on a CB but no one is here on the forum. Pinhead is the only one here that has a running system and a video but is using the 7-prong module with alternate wiring. If I have to buy a third pair of modules it will be the 7 prong.
Buy New, Wire Right. BNWR. LOL

MattD

Postby MattD » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:13 pm

SchoolDaGeek wrote:Spring is here guys! So far no one has chimed in on the 4-prong with notes other than klougnot. Lou has multiple examples of the 4-prong on a CB but no one is here on the forum. Pinhead is the only one here that has a running system and a video but is using the 7-prong module with alternate wiring. If I have to buy a third pair of modules it will be the 7 prong.

I just need some time ... carbs are rebuilt, all my brackets/mounting is finished, need to finish up a set of plug wires, and charging circuit, add oil and turn the key. Picked up a hei tester also.... will report back as soon as i finish rebuilding a hot tub. :)

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Wed May 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Sorry for not responding to this thread in such a long time; got a new job and moved so I haven't been on the 'net much since January.

When I get some free time I'm going to build the "test circuit" that Lou used to design the ignition and I'll see if I can get the 4-prong system working.

And I'll get video, if possible, of the strength of the spark created by this system. Believe me, it's pretty impressive.

But don't hold your breath lol... I've been pretty busy lately so it could take a while. 8)

connrod

Postby connrod » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:18 am

SchoolDaGeek wrote:Blatant plug for your genious in a few other threads:

so,maybe I missed something,why is someone wiring in a ford reguilator,and is the alt "n" wire the negative wire?

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 pm

connrod wrote:
SchoolDaGeek wrote:Blatant plug for your genious in a few other threads:

so,maybe I missed something,why is someone wiring in a ford reguilator,and is the alt "n" wire the negative wire?

No, the "N" terminal is not the negative wire (ground).

The only place the regulator gets "ground" is the case of the regulator. There should be a solid ground on the case to give the regulator "zero point reference." In other words, it has to know what ground is so it can regulate the battery voltage at x volts above ground.

In that picture, the S- Stator or "N" Terminal of Alternator should actually go on the positive (+) side of either the battery or the rectifier (NOT straight to the stator which produces AC voltage). I prefer attaching to the the battery since that is where we're trying to regulate the voltage.

SchoolDaGeek

Postby SchoolDaGeek » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I would say that is true if you have had a good look over the wiring harness and can verify that the voltage between your R/R and the battery only varies by 0.1 volts or less. Otherwise for troubleshooting purposes, you should connect that wire right to the out + positive voltage of your R/R, because in cars it is an alternator. In bikes it is a generator with a separate voltage Regulator/Rectifier. The Regulator part takes voltage down from 60-150VAC to around 24VAC. The rectifier portion converts the voltage to DC current and charges the battery according to load but will fail after 15VDC. Just through your own electrical knowledge you should be able to improve on the circuit that was designed in 1977.

SchoolDaGeek

Postby SchoolDaGeek » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:19 pm

I must edit my last post. In the CB650 series the alternating current generated by the spinning field coil on the left hand side of the bike when you are sitting on it. Hondas in this era did not use a permanent magnet to generate the AC field. They all have brushes that applies a field to the coil depending on the demand of the electrical system. So as where all other bikes have a permanent earth-like magnet generating the field of A/C electricity, the hondas of this era actually apply a voltage from the R/R to the spinning "electro-magnet" which is just like a junkyard that picks up cars from the hood with an electromagnet instead of jaws. The field to the generator is applied to the spinning coil through the R/R. Most bikes get a full field of A/C of usually 80-90 volts but as high and low as 60-150 if they are near their service limits. The hondas do not regulate voltage the same way, they apply a resistor field to the A/C end of the circuit and only have a very weak DC circuit to limit the voltage applied to the battery. If you do not have a working Shindgren 535 series R/R for a Honda, you need to get one.

scott s

Postby scott s » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:11 pm

I am extremely weak in understanding electrical stuff. My eyes started to cross somewhere around page two. :shock:

Is there a summary about how this works, what parts were eventually used, etc.? Maybe a corrected wiring diagram? In other words, the best of the last 24 pages?

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm

scott s wrote:I am extremely weak in understanding electrical stuff. My eyes started to cross somewhere around page two. :shock:

Is there a summary about how this works, what parts were eventually used, etc.? Maybe a corrected wiring diagram? In other words, the best of the last 24 pages?

I'll work on a condensed version...

frankinbobber

Postby frankinbobber » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:00 am

ok i have it all wired up but my blue and yellow wires are not marked how do i know which one needs to be marked with white

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 am

frankinbobber wrote:ok i have it all wired up but my blue and yellow wires are not marked how do i know which one needs to be marked with white

Are you talking about the Ignition or the Regulator as posted above?

frankinbobber

Postby frankinbobber » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

The ignition. I thought that's what this post was about. My bad if i'm wrong

Return to “Technical Discussion”