My new old Goldwing project.

Any conversation that doesn't fit the forums above

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Folsoml

My new old Goldwing project.

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 am

I've acquired two Goldwing Interstates intending to make one that works.

The base bike is a 1980 model. I chopped it out of the bushes on someone's farm.

This 1983 model is a parts bike. Even though it is the nicer looking of the two, the engine is seized and it has no title.

That is a genuine 8 track player in the 1980.

Tearing it down.

Carbs on the 1980 were full of gunk, and I broke one of the float posts trying to clean them. These are the carbs from the 1983.

Carbs cleaned, oil and filter changed, electrical contacts cleaned, new plugs, and she's back to life. Here's a video of the first time she's run in I don't know how long.
http://youtu.be/423a9oQx6MA

Now to completely disassemble the 1983 to steal her nicer parts.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

my79650

Re: My new old Goldwing project.

Postby my79650 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 am

Goldwngs are nice machines; but since i'm on the short side i find them quite heavy. The 83 with the seized engine does look great. You will get a kick out of this:
Kijiji locally: 1980 Goldwing loaded, 59000kms, seized engine, $2500 firm. Wanting that much for a bike with a toasted motor....really funny! Saw this ad this morning after my niteshift....i always browse the local ads; never know when a bargain shows up.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am

my79650 wrote:Goldwngs are nice machines; but since i'm on the short side i find them quite heavy. The 83 with the seized engine does look great. You will get a kick out of this:
Kijiji locally: 1980 Goldwing loaded, 59000kms, seized engine, $2500 firm. Wanting that much for a bike with a toasted motor....really funny! Saw this ad this morning after my niteshift....i always browse the local ads; never know when a bargain shows up.

Hope fully by the time I'm done, the 80 will look just like the 83. I'm intending to take all the nice stuff from it.

It is funny how much people (try to) charge for broken stuff! I paid no where near that!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:41 am

Well, it depends on the point of view.

Some say it is broken stuff, some consider it a document of motorcycle history. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Volker_P wrote:Well, it depends on the point of view.

Some say it is broken stuff, some consider it a document of motorcycle history. :lol:

There is a saying that I've always hated; "It's worth whatever someone will pay for it." On that point, I had a spare Xj550 carb bank from which I'd stripped all the bits I needed. I put it on Ebay "for parts/not working" and mentioned it on the XJ550 forum. The forum guys all said I was asking too much for it, but it generated a minor bidding war on Ebay and I actually got more than I was asking.

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 pm

You've come a long way from those first steps of reviving that 650.

Before you get to far along. Make sure you check out the charging system on that wing! The early wings have the typical honda charging system issues, and you have to pull the motor to get at them for repair. It it possibly the reason the 80 got parked in the first place.

If you are going to part out the remains. Let me know! There are a few pieces that I would be interested in.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Return to “Everything else”