Swingarm removal

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

SpiteTheOdds

Swingarm removal

Postby SpiteTheOdds » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:00 pm

I am trying to take off the swing arm on my 81 CB650C, but I cannot get the swing arm bolt/nut to budge. I am starting to strip the bolt/nut. Am I going to have to cut it out?

Thanks for any help.

Dan60x

Re: Swingarm removal

Postby Dan60x » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi I'm new to this. Can't seem to work out how to start a new topic only reply!!
I had the exact same issue with my '79. Had to cut it out. Now I'm struggling to find a centre spacer!! Any help appreciated.

Daniel

GeorgeSweety

Re: Swingarm removal

Postby GeorgeSweety » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi Spite, can you still get a six point socket on the nut? even if you can hammer it on? These nuts are pinch nuts and can be really tight. A blow lamp and freeing agent can be helpful but I removed mine with two socket wrenches and two lengths of sturdy steel pipe about 1 inch internal diameter. I placed one socket wrench on the bolt head on the left side of the bike with a steel tube over the wrench handle, a bit like a sliding handle extension. I had the wrench handle facing towards the rear wheel but pointed down at a 45 degree angle towards the ground, then I slid the steel tube down the handle to make contact with the ground to brace the wrench against spinning. I had to do it this way as I was on my own and had nobody to hold a wrench on the left side of the bike, and believe me, you will not hold a wrench on one side and turn the other side :cry: While the left wrench was braced against planet Earth I put my other socket wrench on the nut on the right side, slid my other steel pipe over the wrench handle, effectively extending my 10 inch wrench into a 24 inch wrench to greatly increase the leverage. That nut made the loudest squeal sound, I was convinced it was going to snap at any moment but it didn't :roll:

Dan60x, to start a New Topic, go to Board Index, click on which Board you want to post in, on the left hand side just under the Board Title, in red is New Topic, click on that and away you go :D I think ebay would be the best place for a centre spacer but you may have to buy a complete swing arm if nobody is parting one.

Return to “Technical Discussion”