The new guy.....

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Miles

The new guy.....

Postby Miles » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:06 am

Hey everybody, it has been my dream to build a motorcycle. Recently I bought a 1982 CB650. It is literally in pieces. I was wondering if anybody knew or could give any thoughts on transforming it into a bobber. I would like to have forward controls, a new exhaust, possibly a new engine. How to mount the seat. Thints of this nature. I do apologize in advance, as I am very green when it comes to motorcycles,so I will have a billion questions.
00x0x_azBv0EgMLZl_600x450.jpg
00x0x_azBv0EgMLZl_600x450.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 6207 times

Volker_P

Re: The new guy.....

Postby Volker_P » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:29 am

Welcome here, Miles! :D

I am not sure if it is a really good idea to start with motorcycles by a CB650 in boxes but is not impossible.
The first issue you should be aware is that the engine head and head cover threads are very sensitive and need to be torqued using the proper scheme and stepwise torque etc. Other threads are not much better.
Surfaces have to be really clean to be tight and spending considerable time on cleaning them saves doing the same thing again soon. Etc, etc. :lol:

So read the manual and look around in this forum before you try out anything. Reading will prepare you for surprises and tell you the important issues. There is no need to damage expensive stuff.

If you manage to be patient and you are willing to learn step by step, the building of a motorcycle from the box can be a great experience.

Good Luck! :)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:30 am

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your project!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Miles

Postby Miles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the info

Return to “General Discussion”