Where to get raised white letter tires?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

papa-wheelie

Where to get raised white letter tires?

Postby papa-wheelie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Hello, this is my first post as I have just purchased a very nice '81 cb650. I don't have the custom model which came with the raised white letter (RWL) tires but was considering buying a set of comstar wheels and putting on a set of new RWL tires just like the custom model had.

2 problems I already ran into:

1.) Per my research, I can't find ANYTHING that comes in RWL for a 17'' wheel...(my current spoked rim is 17'').

2.) It seems (unless I'm wrong) that the ONLY way I'm going to get RWL tires is to first get different wheels (specifically a 16'' rear) to even have a chance to find RWL tires for them. I DID find a Bridgestone 130/90/16 RWL tire that would work for the rear assuming I get new wheels (16''). Also a Dunlop Elite mm 90/19 RWL for the front.

I'm wondering what everyone with a cb650"c" is doing for replacement of their RWL tires? Is everyone just going to all black tires because they can't find any RWL ones? Just wondering.

Also, is there any problem swapping out my current spoked rims (mint condition) for comstars?. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bernie

Volker_P

Re: Where to get raised white letter tires?

Postby Volker_P » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:30 am

Welcome here, Bernie! :D
That's really a new aspect of tire choice for me. So I am sorry I can't help. But as all nowadays tires of common brands should be better than what you got in the eighties, I'd say there is nothing really wrong about that criterion.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 am

They have stoped making the dunlop qualifiers that was on the us customs. I found on front at a local shop in the discounted tires.
As for the wheel swap if you stick with the 650 comstars it is a direct swap. You have to be carefull with the front as there are a couple diff widths. What youll want is a front off a 79 or 80 custom as they was still single disk. The dual disk wheels are slightly narower. I have some if you want to trade.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

papa-wheelie

Postby papa-wheelie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:52 am

Well, nothing like coming back after 7 years to answer my old post! Sorry, but better late than never.

Anyway, I was able to find some Dunlop Qualifiers on a set of comstars at a local motorcycle salvage yard. The bike they came off of was stored inside since new and the tires are in almost new condition. They look great with perfect tread. I would like to use them for leisurely neighborhood rides at low speeds as they should be fine for that. I understand that after 35 years they may have gotten 'hard' or whatever, but I'll be very careful with them.

If any newer RWL tires have come out recently, I would be interested if anyone knows of any. [I still can't find any as of this post].

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:21 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyreart-Tyre ... Jl6kli39Hg

Seems like the easy solution to me, these are listed in the UK so they must be available in the US.

papa-wheelie

Postby papa-wheelie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for the link George. Only problem with that white marker is that the letters won't be 'raised'. I've seen that marker used before on non-raised tire lettering and it ended up looking a bit goofy. I was literally thinking of using a razor blade to slice off the letters of some old Dunlop qualifiers and then gluing them on the side of a tire. That may end up looking even worse if not done right but I'm at that point. :?

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:15 am

Hi papa, you are welcome mate but that is all I could come up with. I presume that you are in the U.S.? I don't think that tyres with RWL are, or ever have been in demand in the UK as I don't ever recall seeing any on sale over here.

papa-wheelie

Postby papa-wheelie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:05 am

Nothing beats the look of raised white letters. Nothing! :D

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:19 am

papa-wheelie wrote:Nothing beats the look of raised white letters. Nothing! :D

Yeah!, not even a picture! :lol:

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Photobucket sucks now. I use https://postimages.org/ for images now.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

papa-wheelie

Postby papa-wheelie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for the pic hosting site Folsom. I don't get it however since I 'previewed' my pic hosted on photobucket before I posted it and it showed up fine. Then, the next day it's gone!! What gives?

Anyway, I would normally be mad and upset that the pics I'm posting just disappear, but after seeing this beautiful image of a 1981 CB650 custom, I feel so much better again! The thing is, I'm not kidding! :P

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:00 pm

They do look good...
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “General Discussion”