Wire harness repairs

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hutch1

Wire harness repairs

Postby Hutch1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:32 pm

While I'm waiting parts for my carb , I thought I'd address some wire harness issues from the previous owner. I plan to replace the 3 crimped connections pictured with solder and heat shrink. Can anyone tell me what he large blue item is on the right that's on the heavier gauge red wire.
0904171949.jpg
0904171949.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 10979 times
1982 CB650SC

GeorgeSweety

Re: Wire harness repairs

Postby GeorgeSweety » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:08 am

Hi Hutch, I haven't got anything similar on any of my CB650's that I have come across but that looks like a PO has added an inline fuse holder to me. Probably he had a shorting out issue and sticking a fuse in may (or may not) have fixed his issue. :?

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:50 pm

In that case i think it's better to get another wire harness or if you are up to it make a new one.
To me it dont look good at all as there can be all kind of problem with that wire harness. :roll:
Myself i had charging problems and when i replaced my harness the problem was gone. :wink:

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 pm

In that case i think it's better to get another wire harness or if you are up to it make a new one.
To me it dont look good at all as there can be all kind of problem with that wire harness. :roll:
Myself i had charging problems and when i replaced my harness the problem was gone. :wink:

8)

Hutch1

Postby Hutch1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:04 pm

It's an easy enough repair, don't feel the need to replace the entire harness. I have new wire and also new connectors and pins. I'm not familiar with these types of fuses, I was trying to determine for certain whether this was factory installed or not. If not, it's gone and I'll start fresh with new pins just like I I plant for the three poorly done crimp connections.

The large blue connections was a bit cleaner than the crimped connections which made be consider the fact that it may be factory. Here's an updated pic with the 2 ends unscrewed.
0905171748.jpg
0905171748.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 10965 times
1982 CB650SC

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:06 am

That is definitely not a factory standard. Someone probably installed it because it was easier than getting a new 30a blade fuse. At least this person did not eliminate the fuse all together. Most of these old solenoids have a piece of coat hanger as a fuse. :roll:
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Well anything is repairable but more connections means more resistance and hence voltage drops, so to me the easiest soulutions is in fact to replace it all. :wink: But by all means repairing it is also a solution. :wink:

I can assist with the length and color of all cables if you want to build your own harness as i still got my own falty one. :wink:

8)

Hutch1

Postby Hutch1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:07 pm

MEHall wrote:Well anything is repairable but more connections means more resistance and hence voltage drops, so to me the easiest soulutions is in fact to replace it all. :wink: But by all means repairing it is also a solution. :wink:

I can assist with the length and color of all cables if you want to build your own harness as i still got my own falty one. :wink: 8)

I'm strongly considering rewiring the bike and will certainly take you up on the offer. The mechanics of it don't bother me, its the fact that I don't have a good understanding of the electrical system.

Next up... complete wiring repairs, replace tee fittings and install carbs, build air box adapter for air filter to eliminate air cleaner holder, rebuild and install front and rear brakes, remove fork air assist and fill the holes in the caps by melting aluminum welding rod,connect all electrical components, get her running! After that it's building the seat pan and seat, creating mounts for the seat pan and rear fender, then getting some saddle time before body work and paint. A lot to do, but its coming along...
0907172045.jpg
0907172045.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 10934 times
1982 CB650SC

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 am

Electrical system as a harness is not so difficult to understand though but the more connections the more recistance. :roll:
There is the silicon rectifier though that i know is connected to the function so you cant start the engine with a gear engaged without having the clutch engaged. A safety feature. :wink:
Easiest way to go is to get another harness i think, as i did, but i saved my old falty harness in case so i could make my own if i had to. :wink:

8)

Hutch1

Postby Hutch1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:13 pm

MEHall wrote:Electrical system as a harness is not so difficult to understand though but the more connections the more recistance. :roll:
There is the silicon rectifier though that i know is connected to the function so you cant start the engine with a gear engaged without having the clutch engaged. A safety feature. :wink:
Easiest way to go is to get another harness i think, as i did, but i saved my old falty harness in case so i could make my own if i had to. :wink:
8)

For this particular connection the harness is connected directly to the stator and brushes, so there is no way to replace it without replacing the stator. On the other end it connects to the rectifier. This is the reason I had to solder new wires and replace the connector/terminals.

Any of my other repair to the harness have been replacing connectors/terminals only, no splices what so ever. I'm hoping the stator/brush splices don't cause a problem, I took my time to make a good connection for each wire.
1982 CB650SC

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:49 am

That dont sound as stock harness at all as the harness is connected to the regulator/rectifier and that is connected to the stator with at least one connector, hmm. :roll:

Well, my tip is to get rid of all unnecessary connections though as to much of them can cause to much resistance. :wink:

8)

Hutch1

Postby Hutch1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:49 pm

MEHall wrote:That dont sound as stock harness at all as the harness is connected to the regulator/rectifier and that is connected to the stator with at least one connector, hmm. :roll:

Well, my tip is to get rid of all unnecessary connections though as to much of them can cause to much resistance. :wink:

8)

This is the part that needed the repair which goes directly to the stator and bruchess, the main harness only needed new connectors no wire repairs.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (48.59 KiB) Viewed 10887 times
1982 CB650SC

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 am

Ok i see, that is not a part of the harness though but if you need to repair that so ok. Try to get the connector that is used originally. I have seen those but cant remember what site that have them. :roll:
I wonder if anyone else can help in where to get those connectors? :?:
If you got more questions just post, we are here to help. :wink:

8)

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:36 am

You really don't need to have the OEM connectors unless you are trying to do a restoration. You can get individual connectors for each wire--you just then have to make sure they get plugged it right every time.

That being said, here is a source for new connectors:

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Hutch1

Postby Hutch1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Folsoml wrote:You really don't need to have the OEM connectors unless you are trying to do a restoration. You can get individual connectors for each wire--you just then have to make sure they get plugged it right every time.

That being said, here is a source for new connectors:

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html

Thanks all. I ordered the OEM style connectors from VintageConnections so that I can easily match to the corresponding connection to the rectifier. The connectors came with new terminals as well, and I used the OE style harness wire from dime city. At this pace, I hope to fire the motor later this month or early next. Still waiting on some carb parts, and battery. I also have to fab a mount for the battery, and make all the fuel, electrical and control connections. On second thought, some time next month is more realistic. :mrgreen:
1982 CB650SC

Return to “Technical Discussion”