Coil Relay Mod on 83 650

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Kjkenney

Coil Relay Mod on 83 650

Postby Kjkenney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:02 am

Have an 83 Nighthawk 650 and my electrical system is being a pain with starts. Cleaned the carbs about 4 times after sitting for a couple months determined this was the issue but they are now spotless. Found if I jump the terminals on my solenoid it starts great but with a couple different relays I had it has trouble from the starter button, so it makes me think its not the relay itself. Been looking into the coil relay mod where you use a 30a horn relay and use that to get more power direct to coils.

Has anyone done this on this era? As far as I can see the four wires I have at the solenoid are:

Red: power from ignition switch
Red/white: goes to rectifier
Yellow/red: comes from starter button
Green/red: comes from the clutch diode

The mod suggests taking the wire from the kill switch, black/white, but this is nowhere near the solenoid from what I can see. Is this still the route to go? Wanna make sure this works on the DOHC bikes' electrical system before I jump in. Any insight would be great, thanks!
83 Nighthawk 650
85 Elite 150 Deluxe

Kjkenney

Re: Coil Relay Mod on 83 650

Postby Kjkenney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Ok, I read the instructions a few more times and made a drawing of my own. So does this mod take the starter button out of the equation and purely depend on the kill switch? So off=nothing and switch to on and it starts up since there is power to the coils right away? This makes sense somewhat but then the red/white going to the rectifier is left null from what I see, as well as the red from the ignition switch. Is the new relay in addition to the original one since the power still is linked to the bolt on the relay? I may be overthinking this but the write up Im using is in reference to old Suzuki bikes, not Honda so Im flipping between that and my service manual scratching my head an awful lot :/

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bik ... y_mod.html
83 Nighthawk 650
85 Elite 150 Deluxe

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:46 pm

I did not look at all the details, but the rough drawing in your link does not take either the kill switch or the ignition switch out of the equation. The only difference is they work to operate the relay, which THEN provides power to the coils.

I do a coil relay on nearly all the bikes I rebuild. I follow the diagram shown below:

I run a 12 ga wire directly from the positive terminal of the battery, through a 10 amp inline fuse, to the common terminal (30/51) of the relay. Then continue the 12 ga wire from the Normally Open (87) terminal to the place on the coils where the black and white wire connected. Then connect the black and white wire to the 86 terminal and connect the 85 terminal to ground.

With this done, the black and white wire that WAS supplying pulses to fire the coil is now causing the relay to open and close. When the relay closes, the maximum amount of voltage available is going directly to the coils.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Kjkenney

Postby Kjkenney » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:15 am

Aha! I read the instructions as replacing the starter solenoid for some reason. Way off... :oops:

So last thing I'm a little fuddled on is the black and white wire...this goes from the kill switch back to rhe igniter box and splits into two after the harness for the coils. Do i cut it after the harness before it splits into two to go to the coils? So the signal is coming from the igniter, 86, and 87 goes to the wire that then splits to the coils yes? Thanks much for your help, greatly appreciated
83 Nighthawk 650
85 Elite 150 Deluxe

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:53 pm

There's no need to cut the black and white wire at all. Simply unplug it from the coils and plug it right into the 86 terminal on the relay.

I do not understand what you are asking in this sentence:

Kjkenney wrote:So the signal is coming from the igniter, 86, and 87 goes to the wire that then splits to the coils yes?

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm sure glad that you guys know what you are talking about cos you've bamboozled me with the Dark Arts of that electrickery hocus pocus.............so I'll be on me way and leave yous to it :?

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Its' just a little trick to improve your spark by a couple of percentage points. When the power has to travel though the entire wiring harness to get to the coils, you lose as much as a full volt. By going directly from the battery, you get full battery power each time. :lol:

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:37 am

Folsoml wrote:Its' just a little trick to improve your spark by a couple of percentage points. When the power has to travel though the entire wiring harness to get to the coils, you lose as much as a full volt. By going directly from the battery, you get full battery power each time. :lol:

HA! next thing you'll be using words like "easy" and "simple" and "nothing to it". Electrics to me is like Witchcraft and Sorcery :roll: Just give me something to hit with a hammer or turn with a spanner and I'm happy, besides which, my brother is good with those volt meter thingies so I don't have to be :D

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:11 am

GeorgeSweety wrote: my brother is good with those volt meter thingies so I don't have to be :D

That's all that REALLY matters. :lol:

Return to “Technical Discussion”