is this hid kit good?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

is this hid kit good?

Postby juntjoo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:53 pm

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1834893540

I know nothing about these. I just know I read these bikes don't self charge well and these hid kits help with that and provide better lighting. I recall reading something about a good product having hi and low beams and a relay for something about excessive initial draw and that maybe I'll have to contend with some wiring business for something. IDK. Any plug n play options lol? Im game tho if I have to get my hands dirty. Oh wait, it just occurred to me, the other lights. or are they too small to worry about? yeah, just the big one for now right? I don't need to go crazy with all the lights now or should I are the kits per product included cheaper? Recommendations? What if I don't do this upgrade? Will I just have to charge my battery often? Sounds like a pain. And I've always gotta rev the engine or something to around 3krpm to charge it? What should I do?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Re: is this hid kit good?

Postby juntjoo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 pm

what about rigging a solar trickle charger to the bike(Im in sunny SWFL). Place it on the tank? tacky
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:08 am

I'm pretty useless when it comes to electrics so I'll be no use to you on this :oops: However, I have done my own modification to cut down on battery drainage which seems to be one of the major problems with these bikes :D I presume that DRL's mentioned in the link are Daytime Running Lights?...well anyway, they are not a legal requirement in the UK but seeing as my CB650C and my Nighthawk were both imported from the US they are fitted as standard.
I compared the wiring diagrams for the US and UK models and found that I could just replace my right hand switchgear with one from a UK bike without any mods to the wiring other than disconnect one wire in each front indicator to disable the "constant on" front indicators. The UK right switchgear has a seperate lights on/off switch so now I can start my bike without worrying about the lights draining the battery power and when its warm and ready to ride I can switch my lights on 8)

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:52 am

juntjoo wrote: And I've always gotta rev the engine or something to around 3krpm to charge it? What should I do?

That is pretty much standard for these bikes. Once you are actually riding the bike on a regular basis, the battery will stay charged.

Switching to an LED headlight should be a simple, plug-and-play operation. Bear in mind, however, that if you choose to switch to LED turn signals, you will need to get a new turn signal relay. The power drawn by the LED's is not enough to work the original relay. AND, when you get to messing with the turn signal relay, you will notice that there are three wires going to it, but only two places to plug wires in. The green wire goes to nothing. I know I said in another thread that Honda would not put things that were not required, but I guess this is the exception to that rule (I'm sure it had some purpose, but no one I ever met knows what it was). Should you need an extra ground wire in that area, that wire IS a ground.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:42 am

thanks guys. yeah, I'll just start with the head light since I want a nice view at night and then go from there. I read you should just replace the other bulbs that are always on with hid/led(still learning). And maybe I'll just leave the blinkers as they are and avoid all that extra thinking. Hopefully I can get some recommendations, til then I'll be shopping
Last edited by juntjoo on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Folsoml wrote: I know I said in another thread that Honda would not put things that were not required, but I guess this is the exception to that rule (I'm sure it had some purpose, but no one I ever met knows what it was)

OK smart arse! Explain air cut off valves! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:31 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:
Folsoml wrote: I know I said in another thread that Honda would not put things that were not required, but I guess this is the exception to that rule (I'm sure it had some purpose, but no one I ever met knows what it was)

OK. You asked:

When the bikes rolled off the line, they were set to run lean (some kind of emissions requirement). The air cutoffs were intended to keep the bike from popping when decelerating. You can bypass the air cutoffs and prevent the popping by turning the fuel/air mixture screws to richen the mixture.

How's that? 8)

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:53 am

Folsoml wrote:
GeorgeSweety wrote:

OK. You asked:

When the bikes rolled off the line, they were set to run lean (some kind of emissions requirement). The air cutoffs were intended to keep the bike from popping when decelerating. You can bypass the air cutoffs and prevent the popping by turning the fuel/air mixture screws to richen the mixture.

How's that? 8)

:lol: You took the bait!....I knew that you knew the answer, I was pulling your leg! :D

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 am

8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am

Folsoml wrote:8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Better answer would have been...(I'm sure they had some purpose, but only a man in an office somewhere knows what it was) :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”