Cant get valve cover back on.

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

Cant get valve cover back on.

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 pm

the right side sits over the head about a millimeter. towards the left it tapers down to make correct contact. All I did was unbolt it then lift it a bit out of the way(long story) then went to put it back and now this. It wasn't difficult to remove though. I took the speedometer or odometer or tachometer whichever it is, the gear, out in case the teeth weren't aligning. Nope. It feels like it's originating around the part where the cover and head fit together with the 7mm shaft that fits in the hole, like suddenly it won't fit but still I suspect there is something else going on like spring loaded previously til the moment I removed the cover. Any ideas?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Re: Cant get valve cover back on.

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 am

The only thing that I can suggest is to keep gently trying it and if possible shine a torch through the gap to see if anything obvious is in the way. Are the locating dowels perfectly round? can you turn them upside down in the head? just wondering if one of these isn't lined up properly.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:05 am

Check to make sure the gasket is still in the grooves like it should be. Sometimes it can get knocked loose while you are trying to reinstall it.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:43 am

GeorgeSweety wrote:The only thing that I can suggest is to keep gently trying it and if possible shine a torch through the gap to see if anything obvious is in the way. Are the locating dowels perfectly round? can you turn them upside down in the head? just wondering if one of these isn't lined up properly.

"locating dowel". thanks. the one looked just as good as it felt removing the cover. in sohc4.net someone suggested turning the crank a bit which was my first thought. I just gotta figure out how to do that. I'm guessing under one of these covers on the side and put in a breaker bar or something. I've got a manual...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:51 am

juntjoo, do not turn it by the nut on the right side (ignition) of the crank as you sit on the bike, that one is more or less a dummy nut on a very thin shaft. Turn it by the nut on the left (alternator side).

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:05 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:juntjoo, do not turn it by the nut on the right side (ignition) of the crank as you sit on the bike, that one is more or less a dummy nut on a very thin shaft. Turn it by the nut on the left (alternator side).

thanks. someone at sohc4.net suggested releasing the tappers from the valves. i haven't got to it yet but I was playing around underneath there with those movable parts (tappers?) under the cover to no avail but I didn't know what I was doing. awaiting his more detailed follow up. know what he's talking about? i may start youtube'ing "cylinder head operation" but would rather get this cover on now and get this bike going and learn about cylinder heads maybe in the spring. btw, I knew I'd forget something. Using loctite on the choke plate screws before putting carbs up. speaking of which I'll post my vid of getting the fuel pump working.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:43 pm

actually they corrected themselves. that tappet step was for a different bike. I'll be turning the crank in a bit...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:15 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:juntjoo, do not turn it by the nut on the right side (ignition) of the crank as you sit on the bike, that one is more or less a dummy nut on a very thin shaft. Turn it by the nut on the left (alternator side).

thanks.
20180124_140827.jpg
20180124_140827.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 6771 times

I'd rather use this method of displaying pics (if it actually displays) but isn't there a limit? if so then I'd link to file hosting site but using [img] it never displays.

anyway, what am I looking at? alternator? is that healthy. looks a bit brown /orange. please tell me it's fine, bolt it up and move on. but I'm supposed to turn the crank here no? which way? clockwise?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Turn it anti clockwise in relation to the picture, the direction that the engine rotates in. I would give that alternator a good blast of electrical contact cleaner and let it drip off, then give it another and let it drip off again, then do it a third time and while it is still wet blow any crap downwards with compressed air to see how it looks.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:Turn it anti clockwise in relation to the picture, the direction that the engine rotates in. I would give that alternator a good blast of electrical contact cleaner and let it drip off, then give it another and let it drip off again, then do it a third time and while it is still wet blow any crap downwards with compressed air to see how it looks.

thanks. this is as close as I was able to get
20180124_142832.jpg
20180124_142832.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 6770 times
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:55 pm

You haven't got the bolts in your rocker shafts? I'd make sure they were in first along with the oil seals before trying the cover as its all gonna be out of alignment

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 pm

juntjoo wrote:
20180124_140827.jpg

I'd rather use this method of displaying pics (if it actually displays) but isn't there a limit? if so then I'd link to file hosting site but using [img] it never displays.

anyway, what am I looking at? alternator? is that healthy. looks a bit brown /orange. please tell me it's fine, bolt it up and move on. but I'm supposed to turn the crank here no? which way? clockwise?

Take a multimeter and set it to Ohms. Put one lead from the multimeter on each of the slip rings. You should get somewhere between 4 and 5 Ohms. Make sure to clean the slip rings so you get good contact.

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Folsoml wrote:
juntjoo wrote:
20180124_140827.jpg

Take a multimeter and set it to Ohms. Put one lead from the multimeter on each of the slip rings. You should get somewhere between 4 and 5 Ohms. Make sure to clean the slip rings so you get good contact.

thanks. Unfortunately I'm getting zero. Thats not good uh?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 am

That means the windings have shorted. Not good.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 pm

well I loosened all the adjusting nuts and it still doesn't sit flush across the cylinder head. Either the left or right side will be able to mate the surface at some point as I turn the crank shaft but never together. Any ideas? Is this resistance from the springs that's normal and I just need to tighten it down at the lowest point very carefully(per manual)?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “Technical Discussion”