Anyone have pods with an 82 Nighthawk 650(CV carbs/4 to 4 exhaust) ?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

Anyone have pods with an 82 Nighthawk 650(CV carbs/4 to 4 exhaust) ?

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:10 pm

I'd love to have them for the huge relief they would provide working on this bike. Couldn't find any info specifically for this bike though. Anyone?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Re: Anyone have pods with an 82 Nighthawk 650(CV carbs/4 to 4 exhaust) ?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 am

I have read on the interwebby numerous times that CV carbs are very reliant on the correct airflow to operate correctly and pod filters will cause you nightmares trying to set them up properly. I'm not saying that it can't be done as I'm sure there are plenty of clever buggers out there that have done it, but this is your first bike, get it running as Mr.Honda intended, learn how it should run first, then when you know how it should be would be the time to fiddle with it if you needed to.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:42 am

You will be chasing your tail trying to get the jetting correct. Like George said--get it running right, then fiddle with it.

This is the be write up I've seen on Pods:

Mainerider wrote:An airbox serves many purposes and one of the most mportant is to supply the carbs with a consistent and steady reserve of STILL air. Under most conditions, pod filters can't offer this; they are affected by turbulence from several sources, including cross winds, the rider's body, and the bike itself . Air pressure is directly related to air speed and carbs have a hard time dealing with the constantly varying vacuum pressures that pods often cause. This varying air speed problem occurs on even a single-cylinder bike; the problem only increases on multi-cylinder bikes. Each pod is essentially its own air supply system; with potentially varying air speeds (hence varying vacuum pressure); at each pod (due to varying turbulence levels), you will have an issue that mimics that which occurs when one or more of your carb intakes has a vacuum leak: erratic idling, stumbling, surging, etc.

This is one of the reasons that a lot of pod-equipped bikes suffer from surging problems; even after re-jetting, the lack of consistent vaccum pressure causes fuel flow to ebb and flow.

We haven't even touched on the problems of pods while riding in rainy weather...

In summary, in certain situations pods can be beneficial but overall, for street riding, they cause more problems than they cure. Pods look cool, they make carb removal and install much easier, but they are inferior to a well-designed air box. The manufacturers in the 70s and 80s weren't stupid, their marketing departments knew even back then that people loved the look of pods and if they could have fitted the bikes with pods without adversely affecting performance and ridability, they would have; they didn't because an airbox serves several important roles that pods can never handle.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:16 am

I have to concur with the previous poster. But as the best options is an airbox and not pods what to do if the original airbox is broken? Is there any airfilter that can function as the original airbox?

I can say if you want the bike to have the highest mpg ratio the airbox is the best. :wink:

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 am

MEHall wrote:But as the best options is an airbox and not pods what to do if the original airbox is broken?

I would have thought that it would be a lot easier to find an original airbox than a different filter that could replace the original airbox :)

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:I have read on the interwebby numerous times that CV carbs are very reliant on the correct airflow to operate correctly and pod filters will cause you nightmares trying to set them up properly. I'm not saying that it can't be done as I'm sure there are plenty of clever buggers out there that have done it, but this is your first bike, get it running as Mr.Honda intended, learn how it should run first, then when you know how it should be would be the time to fiddle with it if you needed to.

thanks, but boy would "fiddling" be so much easier in that area
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Folsoml wrote:You will be chasing your tail trying to get the jetting correct. Like George said--get it running right, then fiddle with it.

This is the be write up I've seen on Pods:

Mainerider wrote:An airbox serves many purposes and one of the most mportant is to supply the carbs with a consistent and steady reserve of STILL air. Under most conditions, pod filters can't offer this; they are affected by turbulence from several sources, including cross winds, the rider's body, and the bike itself . Air pressure is directly related to air speed and carbs have a hard time dealing with the constantly varying vacuum pressures that pods often cause. This varying air speed problem occurs on even a single-cylinder bike; the problem only increases on multi-cylinder bikes. Each pod is essentially its own air supply system; with potentially varying air speeds (hence varying vacuum pressure); at each pod (due to varying turbulence levels), you will have an issue that mimics that which occurs when one or more of your carb intakes has a vacuum leak: erratic idling, stumbling, surging, etc.

This is one of the reasons that a lot of pod-equipped bikes suffer from surging problems; even after re-jetting, the lack of consistent vaccum pressure causes fuel flow to ebb and flow.

We haven't even touched on the problems of pods while riding in rainy weather...

In summary, in certain situations pods can be beneficial but overall, for street riding, they cause more problems than they cure. Pods look cool, they make carb removal and install much easier, but they are inferior to a well-designed air box. The manufacturers in the 70s and 80s weren't stupid, their marketing departments knew even back then that people loved the look of pods and if they could have fitted the bikes with pods without adversely affecting performance and ridability, they would have; they didn't because an airbox serves several important roles that pods can never handle.

good post. thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:43 pm

MEHall wrote:I have to concur with the previous poster. But as the best options is an airbox and not pods what to do if the original airbox is broken? Is there any airfilter that can function as the original airbox?

I can say if you want the bike to have the highest mpg ratio the airbox is the best. :wink:

8)

thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 pm

I ran pods on my 81. Mostly the same carb. 4-1 header. I think {but Im a maroon) pods are easier and more forgiving to do pods on than pd carbs.
PS dont tell honda your changing it!!!
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

cb650 wrote:I ran pods on my 81. Mostly the same carb. 4-1 header. I think {but Im a maroon) pods are easier and more forgiving to do pods on than pd carbs.
PS dont tell honda your changing it!!!

your 81 has pd carbs and it worked out for you?

If only the air box was made of rubber....
82" cb650 Nighthawk

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 am

no 81 has CV's like the 82

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 pm

cb650 wrote:no 81 has CV's like the 82

so you changed the exhaust to 4-1 to make it work or not? what did you mod to make it work? Any pics?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm

I did nothing it just worked. ran them first with stock 4-4 and then 4-1. ran good on the street. Then started drag racing it and dropped a few sizes in jets and got better. But I am at 5000 ft elevation.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 pm

cb650 wrote:I did nothing it just worked. ran them first with stock 4-4 and then 4-1. ran good on the street. Then started drag racing it and dropped a few sizes in jets and got better. But I am at 5000 ft elevation.

hmm... I'm like at zero, so... I'd get more air flow thus need bigger jets or maybe it just wouldn't work? wait, so you DROPPEE a few jet sizes? When usually you go up right? But because of your elevation you had to decrease the jets?

how did the 4 to 1 improve your acceleration or anything? I was trying to imagine the other day as I was jogging the differences in pipe area as I was adjusting my mouth and when I sprinted, or tried to sprint lol, I somehow felt I got more kick out of closing my mouth/lips. Then I got depressed I have what I thought at least looked coolest in my 4-4's. I can only imagine it would be more advantageous at speeds I most likely wont be going. Who knows, maybe I'll take a wrong turn in life and rob a bank or something bad but non violent and have to outrun some cops and thank god I got my special 82 nighthawk 650 4-4's. okay, time to sleep. maybe I can have that dream tonight, outrunning cops across the country with my super 4-4 exhaust but in my dream they taper out twice the size cartoon style, and I'm built like bruce lee but bigger. And Ill have one of those half helmuts white with a visor.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “Technical Discussion”