recommendations on a <$120 multimeter?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

recommendations on a <$120 multimeter?

Postby juntjoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 pm

just been doing some electrical and find I need to upgrade. Been looking at clamp meters with diode and temp and capacitance testing and "true rms" as I've found all that <$120 but I'm just learning about these things and I don't necessarily need to spend that much if any of the things I mentioned are necessary. So just looking for ideas from you more experienced folk, with these bikes or just automotive electrical in general. Note: I got turned onto the idea of "TRMS" as it being good for res HVAC diagnostics which I'll do to a certain level before I replace a blower or something relatively easy, so that's something that could be a plus for me. Anyway, thanks for input!

ps the latest one I checked out with that medley of features is the fieldpiece sc260
82" cb650 Nighthawk

MEHall

Re: recommendations on a <$120 multimeter?

Postby MEHall » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm

A multimeter for over $ 120? And what is it you need to upgrade? Seems to me it's a bit expensive to pay that much for a multimeter that you use on the CB650. :roll:

15-133_xl_1.jpg
15-133_xl_1.jpg (129.07 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 pm

MEHall wrote:A multimeter for over $ 120? And what is it you need to upgrade? Seems to me it's a bit expensive to pay that much for a multimeter that you use on the CB650. :roll:

15-133_xl_1.jpg

UNDER. But price no biggie, I just want the best, for under I'll say $100 at this point. Looking at this one :

INNOVA 3340 Automotive Digital Multimeter (10 MegOhm/UL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KIMHRQ/re ... EAbY4PZ486

$75, has all standard bells and whistles but as an "automotive" meter it's good temp and tach measurements. Good automotive tools no? Especially the tach.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am

:shock: What the****** Some text have not been posted of what i remembered i wrote.
But to the subject:

I use that multimeter you see in the picture and it have all the functions you need to work on the bike. :wink:
And it can do the most of the functions the one you have linked to and it dont cost as much, only about $ 15. :wink:
I Think you can se in the picture what function there is.
The one you have linked to is not bad at all but a bit costly, as i think, but not a bad choice if you really want it. :wink:

So by all means buy it. :wink:

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 pm

I bought one a couple of weeks ago for working on my Kawasaki, it had to have auto ranging on it because I need all the help I can get when it comes to electrickery hocus pocus :roll: It is an Amprobe AM-500-EUR and cost £40 so I guess about $50-55USD. I liked the auto range part as there aren't too many settings on the dial so there is less for me to screw up :lol: Unfortunately I only have one Zephyr now so swapping electrical bits is no longer an option :(

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm

MEHall wrote::shock: What the****** Some text have not been posted of what i remembered i wrote.
But to the subject:

I use that multimeter you see in the picture and it have all the functions you need to work on the bike. :wink:
And it can do the most of the functions the one you have linked to and it dont cost as much, only about $ 15. :wink:
The one you have linked to is not bad at all but a bit costly, as i think, but not a bad choice if you really want it. :wink:

Well share! maybe I can cancel my order. haven't received shipping confirmation yet

edit. oops. never mind. I see now. thanks.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:05 pm

MEHall wrote::shock: What the****** Some text have not been posted of what i remembered i wrote.
But to the subject:

does it test diodes and capacitors and temperature and rpms?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 am

juntjoo wrote:does it test diodes and capacitors and temperature and rpms?

Nothing outside electrical function, i'm afraid, and on my CB 650 i have no need to check temperature and rpms. :roll:
Rpm i can see on the Tachometer and the engine is aircooled so i there in no need for me to see the temp and rpm. :wink:
And i have never even seen that a CB 650 have any capacitors, so my multimeter dont have that function, and on any aircooled bikes you dont need any multimeters that is more advanced. :wink:

But on cars and a bit more advanced electrical appliances the one you have linked to is more what you need, so ok buy one that have those functions but i think you can buy the cheapest one with those functions. :wink:
It will work equally as good as a more expensive model i think. :wink:

I hope that info helps. :wink:

8)

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 am

Speaking of temperature, make sure that, while you are working your bike in the garage, if you have it running for anything longer than a minute or so, that you have one or two large fans blowing across the engine. As you know, it is air-cooled and will overheat rather quickly. Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation so YOU can breathe.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Folsoml wrote:

Speaking of temperature, make sure that, while you are working your bike in the garage, if you have it running for anything longer than a minute or so, that you have one or two large fans blowing across the engine. As you know, it is air-cooled and will overheat rather quickly. Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation so YOU can breathe.

thanks. never considered it being air cooled. I knew just didnt occur to me... so you cant just idle the bike for long?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:33 pm

No, it will overheat quickly. Not a problem when you are riding because (obviously) there is wind going across the cooling fins.

Edit: I have for you, the deal of the century. I appealed to people smarter than me with your problem. A man known as Holysmokes on the DOHC custom forum has offered his assistance to you. He wrote:

Holysmokes wrote:Tell him to replace plug caps

Or get him to find me on Facebook.
John h Veinot
I'll help him

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 am

anyone know what it means when the ohms reading is erratic? digital reading
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:22 am

Usually means your probes are not making good solid contact with what you are testing. What ARE you testing? Something in the headlight circuit?

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am

Folsoml wrote:Usually means your probes are not making good solid contact with what you are testing. What ARE you testing? Something in the headlight circuit?

yeah, i think I figured that out. thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “Technical Discussion”