how would you mount this to your bike?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

how would you mount this to your bike?

Postby juntjoo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 am

Carviya Waterproof Motorcycle Three Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter 12V Charger Power Socket Adapter Plate Panel Mount 3 Hole + 4 Screws 4 Screw Caps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0193G0N8K/re ... PAbJ5W11T9

I want to have a volt /amp meter in there,

Cllena Waterproof QC 3.0 USB Charger Socket Power Outlet with Digital Voltmeter + Ammeter monitoring for Car Boat Marine Rv Motorcycle Mobiles(Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773VG3C9/re ... PAbECCBHQZ

one of these SAE connections

OptiMATE CABLE O-20, Weatherproof SAE socket, front panel mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031BOTFC/re ... PAb2M790A3

to bridge between this

EKLIPES EK1-153 Black 2,000 Amp EZ Jump Start Battery Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063GA19K/re ... PAbYT8HXTW

to my battery and any charging or jump starting device. But I can only imagine this plate would be installed into a fairing or maybe they have a handle bar mount I just haven't seen yet that would serve the mounting purpose? Any ideas?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Re: how would you mount this to your bike?

Postby Folsoml » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 am

I'm not sure what end result you are seeking.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 am

Folsoml wrote:I'm not sure what end result you are seeking.

well just installing the first link really. the rest is just too share what I'm doing with it if anyone has any opinions but primarily I just want to get the best idea of how to mount this. you know they typically get installed into a dash and without a fairing of any sort it looks like one has to get crafty. I was thinking some sort of box in two halves, top and bottom, screw bottom over fuse box up there under ignition, install accessory panel and internal wiring into top of box then close box. If that's a good idea, where to find a suitable box? electronics supply? I like to hunt for things of other purposes that also serve my specific purpose, especially things I can find at the dollar store. if you can think of anything, like for ex. a small tin box for candy or something, but preferably something with some sexier lines. but I'll settle for good ol secure plain box I can paint whatever color. or maybe there is a product or there that adapts a dash panel to a handle bar mount. any ideas?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

michael_650

Postby michael_650 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm not in front of my bike, but i would start the problem solving strategy by walking around the bike and determining what criteria you need to fulfill and what real estate is available.

Does it need to be accessible while you ride?
Does it need to be readily accessible, or can you 'hide' it?
Does it need to be protected from sun/rain/water?
What accessories are you using with this, and where will those cables live?

Look under the seat, around the fenders, behind the headlight, consider what can be moved and what cannot. In other words, would it fit "there" if you moved "that"?

Secondary considerations might include proximity to the battery and/or fuse box? Can you leverage an existing circuit or do you want to dedicate a circuit to this?

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:27 pm

michael_650 wrote:I'm not in front of my bike, but i would start the problem solving strategy by walking around the bike and determining what criteria you need to fulfill and what real estate is available.

Does it need to be accessible while you ride?
Does it need to be readily accessible, or can you 'hide' it?
Does it need to be protected from sun/rain/water?
What accessories are you using with this, and where will those cables live?

Look under the seat, around the fenders, behind the headlight, consider what can be moved and what cannot. In other words, would it fit "there" if you moved "that"?

Secondary considerations might include proximity to the battery and/or fuse box? Can you leverage an existing circuit or do you want to dedicate a circuit to this?

thanks. need it in view so I can see the volt/amp meter and in front to plug a device in for charging is convenient. I'll have to look into the waterproof issue. duh. so I'll need one with a cover or just very a "marine" one. And the individual devices often have fuses so I'll look into that amd maybe have to add my own
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Be wary of installing things that will draw additional power from the already notoriously weak charging system of the CB650.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Folsoml wrote:Be wary of installing things that will draw additional power from the already notoriously weak charging system of the CB650.

well one thing I plan on connecting through the sae socket would be a solar trickle charger I could secure to the tank. gets pretty sunny here in FL ;)
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “Technical Discussion”