New Fork Seals - Did I just screw up my forks???

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

ts354

New Fork Seals - Did I just screw up my forks???

Postby ts354 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Ordered new fork seals the other day for my 81 w/air. I've taken forks apart before, no problem.
These things were nasty. Brown rust mud was all that came out. Only a little of it at that.
Let me back up a little bit, I took the forks off the bike. Brought the forks home. Took the caps off and dumped out the rust mud. Took off the dust seals, Hey, they look pretty good. Then the fight with the snap rings. I won! Got the snap rings out.
Here's were I think I messed up. With the snap rings out - just like the other fork I have taken apart, I "slide hammered" the tubes out and out fell some washers and copper band and the seals. Did not notice how they went together because they pretty much went all over the place when the seals broke free. Same with the other fork.

Now I read that you are supposed to use a press to get them apart??????
What have I screwed up now???

Folsoml

Re: New Fork Seals - Did I just screw up my forks???

Postby Folsoml » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:12 am

I've always slide-hammered them apart. Did you see the manual here in the General Discussion forum? On page 111, it talks about replacing the fork seals.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

ts354

Postby ts354 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Didn't see it until you mentioned it. Thanks for the heads up.
I looked it over, it's for the non air assisted forks. Mine are air assisted.

I think this is the way mine go back together,
1. Place the damping rod through the rebound spring.
2. Drop the damping rod and spring into the fork tube.
3. Place the oil lock up through the bottom of the fork tube.
4. Slide the fork tube with the damping rod, rebound spring, and oil lock, into the fork leg.
5. Get a new copper washer on the allen head bolt and start it into the oil lock through the bottom of the fork leg.
**6. There looks to be a copper or brass band that has to be driven back down into its place. It has to be placed over the top of the fork tube once the fork tube is slid into the fork leg. It has a place machined out below where the seal would be.
7. Then a metal washer. This will sit on top of the copper band. (the thick washer with the rounded part facing down)
8. Then the new fork seal. (with the slightly larger ridge on the outside of the seal towards the bottom of the fork) or (markings/numbers on the seal facing up) - ( Since I slid (slide hammered) the copper band out along with the seal, I think I will try to drive the copper band, thick washer and seal back in place at the same time )
9. Then another metal washer. (the smaller plain flat type)
10. Then the spring clip.
11. Then the new dust seal.
12. Then put the spring in the fork tube.
13. Tighten up the allen head bolt on the bottom.
14. Add fluid.
13. Then the fork caps.

If I missed something let me know.

** I am not sure about this, and don't exactly know how or what to do.

ts354

Postby ts354 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Number 6 above - I put some fork oil on the copper ring, then I lightly, lightly tapped the copper sleeve to start it in. Put the thick washer on top of it and used my pvc pipe as a seal driver and drove the ring down into place then I did the fork seal.

***Remember*** The fork tube and damping rod and all other stuff has to be in the fork leg before the ring and seals washers, dust covers go on.

It all worked out.
Putting the forks back on Saturday.

Return to “Technical Discussion”