Starter clutch issues

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

73cafedude

Starter clutch issues

Postby 73cafedude » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Anybody on here had an issue where the starter clutch doesn’t allow the starter motor to disengage? Just rebuilt my starter clutch and got everything put back together, I could hear my starter whining while the engine was running, it got hot then wouldn’t crank when I tried again to crank it over. Solenoid is clicking over but I’m pretty sure the starter died, I get nothing out of it but a click when I crank it.

I bought a used starter on eBay, waiting for it to come in. Just wanted to ask if anyone else had run into this issue.

Folsoml

Re: Starter clutch issues

Postby Folsoml » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Are you certain that the problem is not with the solenoid? Try bridging the gap between the two posts and see if the starter turns.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

73cafedude

Postby 73cafedude » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Folsoml wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Are you certain that the problem is not with the solenoid? Try bridging the gap between the two posts and see if the starter turns.

Thanks!

Yes, I tried jumping across the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver. Nothing but a click comes from the starter.

My primary question is regarding the starter clutch not releasing once the engine is started. I’m not 100% positive that this is the case but the starte was whining pretty loudly while the engine was running. If the clutch is functioning properly it should release once the engine is spinning, right?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:09 am

Welcome here! :D

In fact I never heard of that issue.
Remove the starter and have a look into the hole in the crankcase.
There should be teeth of a sprocket visible. Usually you can turn the sprocket with a screwdriver to one direction freely, but not to the opposite direction.
The mechanical option would mean you cannot turn it in either direction. That would be bad and you must not install a new starter until this issue is solved!
My guess is that your stater clutch is somehow blocked/seized on the primary shaft. Possibly a roller cracked and seized. This would mean some small, hard steel residuals in the oil pan.
I assume that the legendary starter clutch thread could be helpful in your case. But no guaranty if one can get out a seized starter clutch that way, too.
I am also a bit surprised that the starter transmission sprockets survived long enough to kill the starter that way.
Make sure both are still all right and do not miss teeth.

Second option I see - if the sprocket in the starter hole turns free in one direction - is electric.
This would mean you have a "sticky" starter solenoid. Replace or open, check and fix it as shown here.

Hope for option #2. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

73cafedude

Postby 73cafedude » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 am

Volker_P wrote:Welcome here! :D

In fact I never heard of that issue.
Remove the starter and have a look into the hole in the crankcase.
There should be teeth of a sprocket visible. Usually you can turn the sprocket with a screwdriver to one direction freely, but not to the opposite direction.
The mechanical option would mean you cannot turn it in either direction. That would be bad and you must not install a new starter until this issue is solved!
My guess is that your stater clutch is somehow blocked/seized on the primary shaft. Possibly a roller cracked and seized. This would mean some small, hard steel residuals in the oil pan.
I assume that the legendary starter clutch thread could be helpful in your case. But no guaranty if one can get out a seized starter clutch that way, too.
I am also a bit surprised that the starter transmission sprockets survived long enough to kill the starter that way.
Make sure both are still all right and do not miss teeth.

Second option I see - if the sprocket in the starter hole turns free in one direction - is electric.
This would mean you have a "sticky" starter solenoid. Replace or open, check and fix it as shown here.

Hope for option #2. :wink:

Thanks for the tip!
I tried turning the sprocket that is visible through the starter hole, no free movement in either direction... :cry: :oops:
Looks like I’ll be dropping the pan and attempting to pull the starter clutch again. Fun times! :roll:

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am

VOLKER!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

73cafedude

Postby 73cafedude » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Got the pan off and I can turn the starter clutch by hand but it feels really tight. I don’t see any evidence of grinding or damage to teeth. How much resistance should there be when the clutch gear free spins?
Attachments
EC6AF70B-526C-4619-B4DF-0110F5395947.jpeg
EC6AF70B-526C-4619-B4DF-0110F5395947.jpeg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 6615 times

73cafedude

Postby 73cafedude » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 pm

I tried to upload a video but it wouldn’t work

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:49 am

73cafedude wrote:Got the pan off and I can turn the starter clutch by hand but it feels really tight.

Not good. It should spin free in one direction, only slowed down a bit by the sprockets. Which means there should be a bit of very free play before the starter transmission sprocket teeth really engage. If there is no difference in tightness whether the sprockets turn or just before they start to turn the clutch is probably seized to the cam.

73cafedude wrote:Looks like I’ll be dropping the pan and attempting to pull the starter clutch again. Fun times! :roll:

If this means you had the starter clutch out before this most probably means something went wrong during installation. Would also explain why this appeared as a quite unique issue. BTW, no need to overdo with sealant (top right corner of picture) next time. :wink: From the perfect imprint of the rubber seal I would also think it could have made sense to wait a bit more until you mount the oil pan after putting on the sealant.

Folsoml wrote:VOLKER!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Yes, thanks, but please don't expect too much. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

73cafedude

Postby 73cafedude » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 am

Issue resolved, the retaining ring that holds the starter clutch gear in place was a little too tight. I was able to loosen it a bit and now the gear spins freely. Thanks for the input guys! Now on to getting the carbs rebuilt! :D

Return to “Technical Discussion”